Monday 5 July 2010

A Tale of Two Cities

Paris and Seoul are different, in some ways polar opposites. In certain aspects Paris seems superior to Seoul. As mentioned below, it's not ugly. Also, I can venture out into public with my shoulders exposed. If I do this in Seoul I almost always get mistaken for a Russian prostitute, which really upsets me (not to mention how angry it makes Sasha, my pimp). There is more romantic freedom here, couples of all ages show affection in public.

In other ways, Seoul has Paris beat. The throngs of tourists here could get tiring, especially when they are in groups yelling at everyone from the top of an open bus (I, dear reader, am not a tourist but an intrepid travel writer with a unique, insightful and valid perspective, much like Elizabeth Gilbert). Also, shops and restaurants close here. I mean they actually shut down. And you can't buy things. And cafes only serve food at certain times. It's all very confusing. As is the subway map.

But I've loved walking around the city, along the Seine, through the Louvre, along the St Martin Canal (where Amelie skimmed stones). I've also enjoyed, sitting in the apartment studying with Emily. The holiday so far is lovely.....


Paris is a city of giants, as evidenced by the size of the doors.


The local flower shop


"Bangul bangul"

I love this photo. Can you guess why? Hint: it's not because of the hat hair.



Emily is not taking her PhD seriously enough


You can have any colour, as long is it's cream


Supper

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy Paris while you can. Things will only go downhill when we arrive on Saturday. Say Hi to Emily from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if serious study is related to the size of laptop then Emily is winning hands down!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Briony! hahahahahah. Indeed she is!

    I think you like picture # 4 because of the size of your boobs! Like whoa-a-a-a! Who IS that girl? Rosmela Anderson Hew? kikiki. (...do you get it?) (... I drank some wine tonight...)

    Also, judging from the first picture, I really thought Emily was a kid! (is that her by the door?)

    Anways. I miss you.

    <3
    Juli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juli! You guessed right! Well done, your prize is........ a.... mmmmmm.......KEYRING! From Europe! (The audience says 'Oooooh')

    ReplyDelete