Sunday 4 July 2010

La Joie Débridée de son Arrivée à Paris

Arrived in Paris yesterday after what was a lovely flight with Qatar Airways. Asian airlines have always been so much better than American and European ones in my experience, the service just seems so much better. It also helped that I took a Korean sedative travel sickness potion just before the flight and then had a glass of wine. Ten hours went by in the blink of an eye.

I managed to wake myself up for the in-flight meals, which I always really exciting, I love how they separate everything into little boxes, it reminds me of sitting in the volvo eating a picnic from a plastic tray as a kid, with torrential rain ruining any view of the lake district (it can have rained every time, can it?). While struggling to open the packet of kim chi (which I was determined to do, as it would be the last time I ate the vinegary spicy giver-of-life fermented cabbage for five weeks) I noticed the Korean girl beside me doing the same. It turns out she was coming to Paris to, for a job interview. She was very interesting and we spent the whole time in Doha chatting about culture stress and what it's like living in a foreign place. We're hopefully going to meet up again in Seoul, if not Paris.

The first thing that has struck me on arrival is how beautiful everything is. There are beautiful houses with GARDENS and the buildings are old and beautiful. The window displays are beautiful. The supermarket shelves are beautiful. Emily's apartment is beautiful. It's as if a sense of beauty is brought to every aspect of life. I walked around with my mouth open pointing at things and saying "That's beautiful!"

5 comments:

  1. Glad the journey went well. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your journey went well. I use the same trick with potions when I go travelling except last year I took a second glass of wine. Big mistake!!! I completely agree with you on the whole excellent food on Asian airlines hence I am very excited about by own adventure with Thai Air on 13th July! I bet Qatar was amazing, Would love to fly with them one day. Adventure well my fair Rosalind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I'm glad Qatar are good, we're flying with them too! Nice to read your first stage of the trip went smoothly. Enjoy the hbeauty til we get there!!! 5 days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a great time in Jeju, but one thing was missing. Roz! We want to go back again in the fall for a weekend, so if you're not all beauty-outed from 5 weeks in Europe, then we want you to come!

    Love you! Miss you!

    Juli

    P.S. Michael must be pretty happy. Did you see Germany take down Argentina? Gruesome. GO DOK-IL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a reason why Qatar is called 'World's 5-star airline', althought the lack of an article in the title has always annoyed me. Please take lots of pictures of all those beautiful things. I won't be jealous at all. I promise. Cross my heart... Ok, maybe just a little. T-T

    ReplyDelete