Wednesday 3 November 2010

Not a nail-phile

I'm a nailphobe. I always keep them short. I was unfortunaly born with abnormally large knuckels and my hands seem to have aged prematurely. So when I grow them long I look like I should be giving poisoned apples to royal runaways. Or, even worse, like Madonna.

It's so bad that I actually HATE having long nails. It makes me feel nauseous. But today, for you, my dear reader, I faced my fears and braved a nail shop.

Everything in Korea happens fast. Dinner is served in seconds, fads come and go in the blink of an eye, and skyscrapers go up in minutes. 'Bali Bali' (quickly quickly) is a way of life here. Except for with nails. My lovely manicurist filed, pinched, scraped and rubbed my nails until they transformed from splinted talons (I'd been growing them for a couple of weeks) to perfectly pruned fingers. It took so long I got to see a whole episode of an amazing Korean drama (Our handsome hero is hooked on painkillers and so is treating all the women in his life so badly they cry a single beautiful tear while looking out of a window).

Due to budgetary cuts, I was unable to get one of the more outrageous designs, such as cats, paw prints, the chanel logo, or a christmas tree complete with tinstle. So I opted for the low key option of a dark blue base with white flowers with a jewel in the middle. As I look down at my typing hands as I can't help but chuckle.

And shudder.


2 comments: