Friday 17 December 2010

Hanbok

Winter has officially hit, and so what are you to do in the wee hours, miles away from home in freezing temperature when you need a warm place to curl up and sleep? Go to the public bath house, of course.

Unfortunately, when Anna and I arrived after her farewell party, we were not the only ones to have thought of this. After a quick shower and bath, we went to the women's sleeping room - a large dark room with mats and blocks for pillows and about 30 sleeping women. Once the seven year old next to me stopped elbowing me in the ribs, I actually had quite a pleasant nights sleep.

Anna getting into the public bath house.

The spring of eternal youth?

It works!

But Baby it's cold outside

The next day, after sweating all the impurities out in the sauna, we went over to Julie's for the best shabu-shabu in the world (FACT). Julie was kind enough to let me try on her hanbok - traditional Korean costume made out two dresses and a jacket. Julie helped me get dressed. Oddly the dress is actually green. I like to think this photo also misrepresents the length of my face (thanks, Naomi, for telling everyone at school that my face is so long because of an accident involving a heavy articulated lorry)


The dress is very tight across the chest, but with lots of netting on the petticoat.

Practising a full Korean bow.

This bow-wow wanted in on my bow



2 comments:

  1. Did I really say that? How awful!!! I'm sure I was joking, but still... ouch! Kids!!!!

    You look great in the hanbok FACT!

    ReplyDelete